Nowlin Elementary School is a public school in Dearborn, MI within Wayne County. It is one of 22 elementary schools in the Dearborn Public Schools district. The school serves students in kindergarten through 5th grade including the Autism Spectrum Disorder program and Physical or Otherwise Health Impaired program. Nowlin has a reputation as a close-knit, warm and inviting community that works together to support the school and student achievement in a positive, innovative learning environment. Teaching and learning is our focus. The faculty and staff at Nowlin are committed to implementing research-based strategies and practices to meet the needs of students.
Nowlin Elementary Mission Statement
The mission of Nowlin Elementary School in partnership with parents and community is to provide an excellent educational environment by recognizing, analyzing and responding to a diverse, changing world so that all students can become caring, responsible, knowledgeable life-long learners.
Message from the Principal
I just wanted to take a quick moment and welcome our new families and our returning families. I hope that each and everyone of you had a relaxing, fun summer. This summer I had the opportunity to hike out West, visit some of our national treasures, and spend time with family and friends. The summer seems to have passed extremely quick this year but we are ready and excited to start off a fresh, new school year.
We have added a new Kindergarten/First Grade classroom that will be taught by veteran teacher, Ms. Golec. We also have a new music teacher, Ms. Wilder. If you get the opportunity please make sure to provide them with a warm welcome.
Additionally, we have several areas of focus this year which include, but are not limited too:
- Districtwide implementation of Eureka Math.
- Building-wide focus on increased literacy with a continued underlying focus on informational text and consisted vocabulary usage.
- Building-wide focus on students taking responsibility for their learning.
- Building Healthy Community Grant, which is a partnership between Beaumont, Wayne State, UofM-Dearborn and Nowlin that focuses on teaching students healthy living habits and partnering with the community. In the fall, you will receive information in regards to volunteering to help us transform that overgrown jungle behind the building into a working garden and outdoor classroom. The design plans have already been created and materials are on their way.
- Safe Routes to School Grant, which is a partnership between the State and Nowlin that focuses on encouraging students to walk or ride their bikes to school. This grant provides the opportunity to pay adult safeties to stand at stations farther away than our school safeties can realistically cover to ensure that our students are monitored and safe on their way into and out of school. If you or you know of someone who is looking to earn a small stipend to ensure our students are safe too and from school please contact the office. This can even include a neighbor who is willing to monitor the block in the morning and afternoon.
- Partnership with Playworks to ensure that our students have an exclusion free, bully free, and safe recess. We will have a partner from Playworks one week a month to help train all staff and students on how to play appropriately, problem solve without being physical, ensure inclusion, and supporting a culture of trust and positivity.
As always I look forward to working collaboratively with each and everyone of you to ensure that our students have a strong foundation of academics and social-emotional skills so that they may one day grow into socially conscious and successful adults.
As a reminder my door is always open. Please do not hesitate to stop by, to email or to pick up the phone. The best way for us to be successful is to have a strong, trusting relationship with you. Again, I look forward to another successful school year.
Dr. Tynan, Principal